As the name suggests, a golf improvement iron serves the purpose of helping you to improve your game.
Whether you are new to the course or you're a professional player looking to take your skill to the next level a golf improvement iron is definitely worth considering.
They are deemed to be more forgiving than a standard iron with a reduced amount of twist but greater speed, distance, and accuracy.
Irons are an expensive purchase, hence why it is important to ensure that you select the best for your needs.
We have taken the hard work out of the process and browsed the market for our top five picks of the best game improvement irons of all time that the market has to offer.
Below, we have also included a handy buyer’s guide with our top tips for choosing the best iron.
If you are in a hurry and don’t have the time to continue reading, we have selected our top pick for you below.
Top 5 Best Game Improvement Irons
OUR TOP PICK
Praised for being a strong contender in the game improvement category, the TaylorMade M6 Iron features a new speed bridge structure that connects the sole and the topline of the club to deliver greater speed.
With a low center of gravity, this iron has an increased launch angle and greater ball speed for a stronger ball flight.
The combination of this high launch and low spin results in shots reaching an impressive distance with enhanced accuracy. The ultra-thin face delivers maximum ball speed courtesy of the varying thickness.
Courtesy of the advanced HYBRAR compression damper, unwanted face vibrations are filtered and reduced, producing smoother sound at impact providing a solid feel in each shot.
Not only does this iron perform well, but it is also pleasingly designed and is certain to attract the attention of your fellow players as you progress through the course.
- Impressively, this iron delivers a stronger ball flight in each shot.
- Available in both right and left-handed orientation, this iron caters to a range of players.
- This iron offers great forgiveness, particularly when it comes to thin shots.
- With a low center of gravity, the TaylorMade M6 is an ideal game improvement iron.
- The steel shaft makes this a durable iron that is going to withstand frequent use.
- As a branded golf iron it is particularly expensive which may make it unsuitable for golfers on a budget.
The Callaway Golf 2018 Men’s Rogue Irons Set have been designed with 360 Face Cup and Variable Face Technology for enhanced ball speed, making this set solid performers when it comes to game improvement irons.
These are long irons with Tungsten Weighting which allows for greater precision, launch, and control. The design of the face cup also delivers greater flexibility which results in increased ball speed after impact with the ball, even effective when it comes to off-center hits.
Thanks to the urethane microspheres you can enjoy a great feeling iron that also results in improved speed and distance. Additionally, this urethane construction absorbs any unwanted vibrations resulting in improved sound without compromising on ball speed and performance in the process.
- Callaway is a well-known brand within the golfing industry so you can be confident in the reputation of the company behind your purchase.
- These irons deliver excellent forgiveness making them great for game improvement.
- There are two flex options available; regular or stiff, allowing you to choose the most appropriate for your needs.
- The Tungsten Weighting produces optimum launch while providing you with more control.
- The 360 Face Cup delivers greater speed in each shot.
- Although these irons are available in a set, they are a rather expensive option.
From the well-known brand Cleveland the Men’s Launcher HB Iron Set has a hollow construction and low center of gravity which provides greater forgiveness and straighter shots, making this a desirable iron set for those looking for game improvement irons.
Courtesy of the HiBore crown, this is a deep weighted iron set that is easy to handle resulting in higher ball flight. This is particularly favorable for beginner golfers in particular as you can place greater focus on achieving shots of your desired distance.
Made with a lightweight dynamic gold shaft, you can enjoy greater speed and height in each shot. The progressive design is slightly more hybrid in shape which again delivers improved forgiveness. Aside from this, the irons also conform to a classic design making it a stylish addition to the golf course.
- Ideal for beginner golfers who are focused on improving the distance and speed of their shots.
- The hollow construction provides greater forgiveness.
- These irons have a great feel making them easier to handle.
- They help to deliver straighter shots with improved accuracy.
- Courtesy of the wide flat sole the likeliness of mishits is eliminated due to consistent contact with the ball.
- These irons are available in left-handed orientation making them unsuitable for right-handed players.
The Cobra F-Max One Length Golf Iron Set combines a large sweet spot with a low center of gravity allowing you to enjoy shots with improved accuracy as a result. Courtesy of the offset hostel design you can achieve straighter shots with a higher launch angle.
With a lighter shaft and strategically distributed weight, this is a forgiving iron that delivers greater speed and distance as a result. This is further emphasized through the thinner progressive head construction.
Courtesy of the premium chrome-nickel finish not only is this an aesthetically pleasing iron that is sure to attract the attention of your fellow golfers, but it is also a durable iron that is going to see you through many uses without becoming damaged.
- When compared to irons offered by competitor brands, the Cobra Golf Iron Set is relatively affordably priced, ideal for golfers on a budget.
- The offset design produces straighter and more accurate shots.
- These irons have been designed to produce a consistent trajectory and greater distance.
- Made using premium chrome-nickel, this is a durably designed golf iron.
- These clubs provide consistent ground to ball contact.
- The long shaft may not be a favorable feature for every golfer.
When it comes to achieving greater distance in each shot, the Callaway Golf Men’s Big Bertha iron does not disappoint. The inclusion of 360-degree face cup technology combines distance and speed for ultimate performance.
As a forgiving iron, it provides maximum forgiveness allowing you to launch shots with increased height and straighter flight. This is further emphasized by the hollow design which allows you to put the weight where it's needed for noticeable results in each shot.
In terms of the design features, the longer irons are designed with a wider sole for greater confidence and bounce in each shot while the shorter irons have a narrow sole which provides you with more control.
- Constructed with a steel shaft, this is a durable iron that is likely to be resistant against frequent use.
- The 360-degree face cup technology delivers greater distance in each shot.
- This is a very forgiving club which makes it a great game improvement iron.
- The hollow design maximizes the ball speed providing greater consistency in each shot.
- Callaway has a reputation as a well-known golf brand so you can be confident in the quality and source of your purchase.
- Unfortunately, this iron is available in right-handed orientation making it an unsuitable option for left-handed players.
Best Game Improvement Irons of All Time for Beginners Buying Guide
There are many factors to consider before choosing your game improvement irons, after all, we aren’t just looking for average irons but the best of all time.
The irons that you choose largely depend on your goals and what you are hoping to improve on. A modern golf set typically consists of 7 irons along with 3 woods, a hybrid, and a putter.
We have outlined our top tips for choosing the best game improvement irons of all time below.
The Area that You are Hoping to Improve
Before selecting your irons it is important to consider the area that you are hoping to improve in.
For some, it may be hitting the ball to a greater distance with more height in each shot.
For others, it may be developing your skill on the whole. Beginners are likely to focus more on specific skills initially while those who become more advanced in their game may utilize an iron of this kind to improve the consistency of their skill.
The Type of Irons
There are two different types of irons available, you may find one to be more compatible with your playing style than the other. The type of irons that you choose is going to be largely dependent on personal preference.
A forged iron is one that is made from a solid piece of metal which is then hammered into shape. There is typically more weight in the center of the clubhead which provides greater accuracy as a result.
A cast iron is made by pouring hot metal into a mold which essentially gives a cast iron its shaped clubhead. Cast iron allows for more complex shapes to be created.
The Shaft of the Irons
When it comes to the shaft construction of a golf iron, those that are most commonly opted for are steel or graphite, although some brands offer multi-material shafts which is essentially a combination of both of these materials.
Steel shafts tend to be the heavier and more durable option due to steel being stronger than graphite.
Graphite tends to be less popularly used than steel, however, it is a more lightweight option that possesses greater flexibility for enhanced power and swing speed.
The Center of Gravity
As the label suggests, the center of gravity is typically located near the central area of the clubhead.
A low center of gravity is preferential when it comes to selecting game improvement golf irons. They produce lower backspin reaching greater distances whilst providing you with greater control in the process.
As your confidence develops you may then prefer an iron with a higher center of gravity, which essentially produces a greater spin with a shorter flight.
The sole refers to the area of the golf club located beneath the clubhead and is the section of the iron that has the most contact with the ball.
An iron with a wider sole generally has a lower center of gravity creating more of a bounce in each shot.
For those that prefer the feel of improved control, an iron with a narrow sole may be the preferred option.
Golf irons can be rather expensively priced hence why it is important to select the most appropriate irons for your needs so that this isn’t a wasted purchase.
Expensive irons aren’t necessarily going to be better and some may actually find them more difficult to use on the course.
It is important to select the golf irons that cater to your individual strengths and weaknesses, this way you will see a greater improvement in your game.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can professional golfers use golf improvement irons?
While game improvement irons are considered to be a valuable investment for beginners, it is now becoming increasingly popular for them to be used by professional players too.
Although professional golfers may not have a whole set consisting of game improvement irons, it has become a trend that sees golfers of these status using these irons to achieve greater accuracy in each shot.
What is the difference between game improvement irons and super game improvement irons?
Game improvement irons are designed to achieve longer and straighter shots and are intended for mid-level golfers in particular.
Super game improvement irons are suitable for high handicap golfers who are looking for greater forgiveness especially when it comes to off-center hits.